Tuesday, September 6, 2011

One Down.... 178ish to Go!

Well.... the moment we've all been waiting for... THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!

Last week was "Staggered Entry" where the kids came in small groups for 30 minutes each.

But today was the REAL DEAL!

The FIRST DAY.


I'd be lying if I said it was smooth sailing.  Or if I said I wasn't stressed.  Or if I said everything went as planned.

But according to the short people... all of them would agree that it was awesome.





I just LOVE the looks on their faces on the first day of school.  It's comparable to the faces you'd see at Mickey's House in Disneyland.  They are fascinated.  Everything is so magical.  They don't notice that the teacher feels frazzled.  They don't notice that their moms are leaving with tears in their eyes.  Those things don't matter when you've just found a little chair at a little table with YOUR NAME ON IT!

My reality: I only have 3 hours a day with these little ones... I need to make the most of it.  Which, to clarify, DOES NOT mean that we are doing flash cards and worksheets all day. Actually, it's the opposite.  I want to create QUALITY experiences that will teach much more than any worksheet ever could.  It became obvious IMMEDIATELY that we have some issues with scissoring and hand dominance... and maybe a few "my way or the highway" attitudes.  ;)   The typical things... and more will pop up as we go.  But overall it was fun... It was great... and we dove right in.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the school year.

Let the games begin!



No comments:

Post a Comment