Sunday, September 1, 2013

Keep it Simple


2 more sleeps... I'm so essited!!!

I've been working in my classroom all weekend and am so pumped for the little ones to arrive.  I was looking around and it's pretty neutral and empty..... and that's INTENTIONAL.

I was thinking about what the parents will think when they come into the room.  I can hear their thoughts already. "It's so bare!" "Where's all the colour?" "Did she forget to decorate the bulletin boards?" "Turn the lights on."

But you know what?  All of that stuff is on purpose.

I used to get out my rolly cart of laminated teacher stuff and "DO" the bulletin boards.  Hmmm, what background colour?  What border will I use? What catchy phrase will I plaster on the hallway board with each child's name neatly written on a little icon.  Pinterest is full of ideas... they can help. I need to get my carpet seating plan arranged.

I'm not doing that this year.

I've changed.

And I'm excited about that.

Here's how it looks now:





Clean, crisp and ready to be filled with THEIR stuff.. not mine.

Last year I was talking to someone very wise and she said, "When you walk into a space you should know who lives there."  And I've never thought about that quite so much.  It's true.  I'm leaving the canvas blank and letting the kids take part in filling it up.  With things that reflect THEM and things that THEY have created... not me.  And THEY don't "live" there yet... so it's pretty bare.

The classrooms below are a few things... but ready to take on the personality of those that take up the space they are not!

Happy DECORating.
:)


1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to. See the after pictures! You inspire me Melanie!

    ReplyDelete